Another great option for portable toilets is the Thetford Porta Potti 260P Marine Toilet. It’s a piston pump action flushing portable toilet and it keeps you below the $200 mark, which is a nice affordable place to be when it comes to porta potties. With this unit, you get the portability of a smaller portable toilet, and yet have the comforts of home!
The Thetford Porta Potti 260P is a flushing type portable toilet. It’s designed so that no electricity is required for it to work. Compared to the Camco 41545 Travel Toilet that we reviewed, this review will be shorter due to the smaller tank at only 2.6 gallons.
One of the many great features of this model of porta potty is the level gauge indicator. The indicator gives you an idea of when you need to clean out your waste tank; this is an upgrade from the 260B model. Locking lid latches are also a very handy aspect of this unit, as well as the ergonomic carrying handle.
Keeping the users in mind, Thetford even included a built-in storage compartment that fits their brand deodorant chemical; which is very convenient, yet it doesn’t have a toilet paper compartment. It even comes with mounting equipment, so if you are going to be using it on a boat, or another type of permanent location, you can quickly mount it to one, fixed location.
How It Works
Check out our How Does a Portable Potty Work Guide to get an idea of how chemical porta potties work.
First, you’ll add the deodorant chemicals to the flush tank using the instructions described on the type of deodorizer you are using. Next, you’ll add the water to the fresh water tank. At this point, you snap the two tanks together to complete the initial setup.
As with all portable toilets, the frequency of emptying the tank will depend on how often it is in use. This unit does average about 27 flushes. With that information, you can estimate how long it would take you and your passengers to use it to the point of needing to clean it out. I would like to note that most liquid chemicals for portable toilets only last about three days. To keep down on odors, its recommended to empty the toilet every three days.
The Thetford Porta Potti 260P has a rotating pour-out spout which makes emptying easy from any angle.
For more ease of use, the Thetford portable toilet can be dumped in any regular toilet. The absence of harmful chemicals allows the waste to be treated; which is not only convenient for you; but also good for the environment.
Optional Items That Are Useful with the Thetford 260P Piston Marine Toilet
– Rubber Gloves
We recommend that you invest in some cheap disposable rubber gloves for use when cleaning your portable toilet. Not only will this help you keep the spread of germs to a minimum; but also keep your hands from getting dirty.
– Toilet Deodorant Chemicals
- Torrentshell 3L Jacket – Men’s (Spring 2022)
- Amazon.com : miR Air Flow Weighted Vest with Zipper Option 20lbs – 60lbs Solid Iron Weights Machine Washable. Workout Vest for Men and Women : Sports & Outdoors
- Best Bike Shorts for Women of 2022
- Garmin Fenix 6 vs Pro vs Solar vs Sapphire: Selection Guide 
- Men’s Saucony Guide 10
- Eddie Bauer Men’s Glacier Peak Seamless Stretch Down Parka
- Burton for Women – Poshmark
- COHO 24CAN LEAKPROOF & WATERPROOF SOFT COOLER BAG
- You Don’t Want to Miss Amazon’s Best-selling Inflatable Kayak While It’s Just $102 for Prime Day
- 2022 Cost to Build a Hotel | Hotel Construction Costs
- Best 25+ Deals for Mens Timberland Boots White
- Best Coolers And Ice Chests Of 2022 [YETI, RTIC, ORCA…]
- Kinco®’s Ski & Snow Program | Winter Gloves & Mitts for Men, Women, and Kids
- Salsa Fargo
- Best Coolers of 2022
- Ancheer Electric Bike
- The Best Women’s Ski Pants of 2022
- Classic retro Igloo Coolers Hard Coolers IMX 70 Qt Cooler – Igloo Sales 2022
- Yeti’s New Wheeled Cooler Is a Killer App for Summer Fun
- 2022 Reef Womens Fanning Bottle Opener Flip Flops BLACK GREY R01626 – Accessories
These are a must to limit odors. You’ll have plenty of options to choose from if you decide to go with a brand other than Thetford. It does come with a couple of samples to get you started, but you’ll need to invest in more.
– Toilet Paper
Single ply toilet paper is recommended for use in most porta pottys. The Thetford is no different in this aspect.
Things to Keep In Mind
– An upgrade on the Thetford 260B Porta Potti model.
This model is the improved version of the popular Thetford Porta Potti 735, so if you have used that model in the past, you’ll have more of an idea of what you are working with.
– Clean up
Keeping your Thetford portable toilet clean is a breeze. A simple soap and water solution is all you need to wash out the tank. After cleaning, be sure to keep the portable toilet in a dry area to prevent damage and mold.
Having a smaller tank keeps the overall size to a minimum. Large enough for easy use; yet compact to fit in almost any size car.
– Lack of toilet paper storage
Make a note that there is no toilet paper storage on the Thetford 260P Porta Potti. It’s not a big deal, but keeping a container next to the toilet is a good idea, so your toilet paper stays dry.
– Limit what goes down the “drain.”
You should never flush trash, feminine hygiene products or wet wipes in your portable toilet! A smart way to keep unwanted waste out of your portable toilet is to use a wastebasket next to the toilet.
Overall, we think the Thetford Porta Potti 260P Marine Toilet is something we can get behind! The price point isn’t bad for what you are getting. Easy to clean, light weight and the ability to mount the unit anywhere makes it ideal for any situation.
By far the best feature is the level indicator. Most models in this class of portable toilets lack this simple, yet efficient design.