Guns should be regularly cleaned and oiled to prevent wearing out of the movable parts. Guns should be cleaned, oiled then stored in a safe dry place. This ensures they function properly for years and fire properly. Guns can easily misfire, jam, or stop functioning if their barrels contain debris.
Always use gun oils and lubes to clean your guns. There are a lot of guns oil and lube brands in the market. This article focuses on the top most selling products.
The best gun lube should:
- Protect bare metal from corrosion and oxidation residue from your hands.
- Prevent air and spent powder from corroding the firearms metal.
- Allow gliding of the movable metal parts without shaving or grinding the parts.
|Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricating Oil||4.7||$|
|M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX||4.8||$|
|Clenzoil Field and Range Cleaner Lubricant||4.8||$|
How To Pick The Best Gun Oil Or Lube
Some gun lubes and oils have similar features. When buying gun oils and lubes, consider:
- The ease of application of the product to the surface of your firearm
- How long the product lasts
- The ease with which the product comes off the surface of the firearms
Oil or grease is simply a buffer between the metal that prevents rusting and reduces friction between the movable parts of a gun. This is one of the most important factors to remember when selecting a gun lube.
Thick Or Thin
Oils can be either thick or thin. Thinner oils are better for cold climates because they flow even in cold temperatures. When in hot and humid environments opt for thicker oils that will stay put better.
This type of oil is ideal because it does not attract grime and dirt. On the other hand, lighter oils do not rub off easily.
Replacing The Oil
It is important to known how to get off the oil on your guns. With time, oil attracts powder residue and holds dust.
Some gun lubes offer long time protection. Avoid using solvents that can dissolve copper fouling. Using a manufacturer recommended cleaner and lubricants is safer.
Multiple Coats Of Oil
It may be difficult to have multiple coats of oil on the surface of a gun because metal cannot hold or absorb the extra coats. Excessive amounts of gun lube can stick to critical parts of the gun including the firing pin channels and grooves. If you are having problems using your gun because of too much lube, clean your gun properly, and lube it afresh.
CLP stands for clean lube and protect. These products are manufactured by certain companies. It is important to avoid using gun lubes that contain chemicals to eliminate the need for using weak solvents and light oils.
CLP products rarely work as separate solvents and oil combination. They will not dissolve copper fouling or leading. The protectants also do not last for long or protect action crevices.
Oils Or Grease
The major difference between the oil and grease is consistency of the product. Grease is known to be thicker and reduces friction due to sediment it contains. Oils vary in weight and thickness and are mostly used to protect parts from rust and oxygen.
For objects that rotate and reciprocate use oil, while for parts that slide use grease. Using grease on a semi auto is ideal as this parts need to slide without blinding or causing friction.
Top 3 Best Gun Oil & Lube Reviews On The Market 2021
Hoppe’s No. 9 Lubricating Oil
This is a highly viscous and perfectly refined gun oil. It is a multi-purpose lubricant that can be used on firearms, and fishing reels. This gun lube will last for a prolonged period and will not harden, gum, or expire.
It comes in a 14.9 ml bottle that makes it easy to handle and use. Its precision applicator can be used on areas that are difficult to reach. The oil will remain viscous even in cold weather and will not gum.
The lube does not evaporate when exposed to heat. This is an ideal gun lube for those who prefer to use their firearms out in the field as well as those who use their guns in a gun range. This gun will prevent corrosion and rust in the metal parts of your gun ensuring that the gun works perfectly and smoothly.
- Flows well and reaches hard to clean areas including tiny crevices.
- Small amounts of the oil can be used to clean a significant part of a gun
- Prevents corrosion and rust
- Thick and can withstand harsh and extreme weather conditions. It does not evaporate when exposed to heat and does not stick in cold weather.
- Quite pricey
M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX
This is a cleaner, lubricant, as well as a protector. It repels dirt, carbon, and other types of contaminations.
This gun lube helps to decrease friction and wear of the movable parts of your gun. It provides excellent lubrication and lasting corrosion protection.
- This is a heavy-duty gun oil recommended for its prevention of guns from dust, moisture, rust, salt water and corrosion.
- It is also very thick and does not evaporate immediately it is applied.
- It lasts for a long time and does not require re-application after firing many rounds.
- This gun oil is silicon-free and only a little of it is required to oil most parts of the gun.
- Dabbing and applying a drop or two over the surface in a film form protects against rust and moisture.
- This oil lends a smooth finish to the surface of the gun.
- It is messy, as it has to be cleaned out by hand.
- It leaves a small film after application.
- This oil resists most solvents.
Clenzoil Field and Range Cleaner Lubricant
This is an effective cleaner, lubricant, and protector. It prevents rust and corrosion. In addition, the lubricant can be easily applied on paintball guns, pellet guns, and real firearms.
This product is 100 percent made in the U.S. with some of its proceeds from sales donated to the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
- This aerosol gun oil is environmental friendly and biodegradable.
- It can be sprayed in the hard to reach parts to prevent them from corrosion and rust.
- It is also alkaline in nature, which serves to neutralize skins oils and sweats that wipe off other gun oil types.
- The oil stays put even when the gun comes into contact with water.
- This oil does not get sticky when applied and ensures the gun moves smoothly when the trigger is pulled.
- Another benefit of this oil is that it is multi-purpose gun oil that makes it ideal for both cleaning and lubrication.
- It is also very easy to use as one simply sprays it on the gun, lets it rest for a while and wipes it off.
- The vapors from the spray sometimes cause respiratory irritation.
- It has a very strong and foul odor.
- It neither dissolves copper nor removes lead.
Guns need to be taken well taken care of as a misfire or jam may lead to accidents. One of the simplest gun maintenance tips involves regular cleaning and lubrication of the gun. There are many gun oils and lubes on the market each with its own pros and cons.
It is advisable to choose a gun lube that best works for you. Of the three gun lubes that we have reviewed, Clenzoil Field and Range Cleaner Lubricant stands out because it is environmentally friendly, does not stick in cold weather, and requires only small amounts of oil hard to reach crevices.
I hope you found this article useful. Please share your experiences with gun and oil lubes in the comments section. We also encourage you to share this article with your friends and followers on social media.
>> READ MORE: