Relaxing in a hot tub is such a pleasurable and healthy experience that people love to pay a premium for it. However, many people cannot afford an actual hot tub and hence they prefer a portable hot tub that has to be inflated before use. Inflatable hot tubs are soft, low-priced and usually made of thick vinyl.
What are the benefits of inflatable hot tubs?
Inflatable hot tubs are more than just cost-effective means of relaxation. Following are the many benefits that can be reaped by people we who buy the product:
- Health benefits: It is a known fact that soaking oneself in a hot tub offers various health benefits. More specifically, the relaxing experience helps to combat stress, anxiety, migrains, tension and other conditions that affect mental health. The relaxation promotes good sleep and it lowers blood pressure. Doctors often recommend hot tub paths to patients suffering from arthritis and chronic pain.
- Portability: Inflatable hot tubs are portable and easy to carry. It can be used in a backyard as well in a garden. This portable tub is particularly useful for families who change their houses very often.
- Socializing: An inflated tub located in a garden or near a swimming pool gives a good opportunity to you and your friends to relax together in a hot tub.
What materials are inflatable hot tubs made of?
Inflatable hot tubs are made up of thick vinyl material or a blend of vinyl plastics. The vinyl is often blended with other materials that increase the durability of the tub. Filter components and other accessories are prone to damage due to water treatment chemicals. So PVC is blended with other polymers like polyurethane and nitrite rubber for manufacturing inflatable tubs that offer toughness, elongation and chemical resistance. Hence, inflatable hot tubs are softer than their solid counterparts which are made from permaflex. Solid units come with foam-based insulation.
How many sizes do inflatable hot tubs have?
The size of an inflatable hot tub depends on the number of people who occupy the space inside the tub:
- 2-place hot tub: This size is perfect for a couple who wish to relax in the tub without children. This tub occupies very little space and it can be set up on a balcony or on a terrace.
- 4-place hot tub: This tub is ideal for couples who wish to enjoy in the hot tub along with their 1 or 2 children. The tub can also be used exclusively by couples who wish to make the most of the extra space by stretching their legs and relaxing on their backs.
- 6-place hot tub: This 6-seat inflatable tub can be used by 2 children and 4 adults together. This tub is good for the families who have guests who frequently visit them.
- 8 or 10-place hot tub: These tubs are specially meant for larger families. This type of tub can be easily occupied 8 adults and 2 children or 9 to 10 adults only.
What technologies are used in inflatable hot tubs?
The inflatable hot tubs that are available in the market work on two main technologies namely, bubble technology and hydro-jet technology.
Bubble technology offers a relaxation oriented experience as the water jets inside the tub affect every part of the body. The result is a rejuvenating experience that massages the entire body. The tub deploying the bubble technology is cheaper than the tub that massages a particular zone.
On the other hand, a tub using a hydro-jet technology allows the water jets to be directed to the body part that is required to be healed. The tub with a hydro-jet technology is similar to the one that is typically found in a balneotherapy center.
What are the shapes of inflatable hot tubs?
Inflatable hot tubs are available in round shape as well as a square shape. Some of the hot tubs have been manufactured in an octagonal shape. A square shaped tub is particularly useful if you are facing constraints with regard to space. Some of the tubs in fancy shapes and they are meant to be used for non-therapeutic purposes.
How hot are hot tubs?
A temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit is considered as the best temperature for adults. Care should be taken if young children are using the hot tub at this temperature. Regulations stipulate that the temperature of the hot tub must not exceed 104 degrees Fahrenheit. A temperature above 104 degrees Fahrenheit increases the chances of a heat stroke. Moreover, pregnant women must avoid using a hot tub whose temperature is more than 100 degrees Fahrenheit. High temperatures are known to affect fetal growth in the first three months of pregnancy. Persons suffering from medical ailments must seek their physician’s advice when using hot tubs.
What is the difference between a hot tub and Jacuzzi?
A hot tub is basically a bath tub that holds hot water for soaking and relaxing. Besides relaxation, the hot tub is also used for massage and therapeutic purposes. Jacuzzi is a brand name of a specific type of whirlpool bath tubs and the company focuses on improving these types of tubs. The brand became so popular that it became a generic trademark and hence every hot tub with water jets is called as Jacuzzi. Usually, a typical hot tub comes in different shapes and sizes. Typically, a hot tub is either made up of wood or one-piece PVC.
How much are inflatable hot tub?
On an average, the price of an inflatable hot tub falls in the range of $300-$700. Refurbished tubs cost less while tubs that fall in the premium price range can cost as much as $1400. The price of the inflatable hot tub is much lower than a permanent hot tub which may be constructed at a price that falls in the range of $16,000 to $20,000.
When should you buy an inflatable hot tub?
Ideally, it is preferable to purchase a product when its demand is lowest in the market. A price of a product drastically reduces during a period of low demand. The demand for hot tubs is least in winter and hence it is a good idea to buy an inflatable hot tub during the winter season.
What brands should you choose?
Almost everyone loves to soak and relax in an inflatable hot tub. However, every person has different requirements that can be uniquely catered by a specific brand of tubs. Following are the more popular brands of tubs that are well-known in the hot tub market:
What accessories does an inflatable hot tub need?
Any inflatable hot tub is accompanied by a host of accessories that help to increase its durability. The essential accessories of a hot tub are the filter cartridges that need to be replaced regularly for maintaining water purity. You must have extra filters that can act as spares. It is advisable to use antibacterial chemicals like chlorine and bromine if the water is to be kept in the tub for a longer duration. In such cases, one must use dispenser and test strips to check the pH levels of the water. Other accessories of an inflatable hot tub include a ground mat, seat cushions, cup holders and water softener. The ground mat protects the bottom of the tub while the water softener improves the quality of water. The softener removes chemicals like calcium and magnesium and makes it suitable to be used for bath. If your inflatable tub has jets then it is recommended to buy spare jets that can be used to replace damaged jets. These accessories are particularly essential in tubs that are used for therapeutic uses.
What are the main factors to consider?
An inflatable hot tub has many uses and the buyer must give careful thought to every feature before making a judicious decision. The buyer must at least consider the following factors while zeroing on the tub of their choice:
- Comfort: The very purpose of the hot tub is defeated if the user does not feel comfortable and relaxed. The tub’s floor and material play an important role in offering comfort.
- Size and depth: The size of the tub is used to check whether the tub is in a position to accommodate all of its intended users. The depth of the tub also needs to be checked for ensuring increased comfort. These parameters also help to ascertain the number of people that can comfortably accommodate the tub at the same time.
- Portability: Many customers want to change the location of the tub frequently. It is desirable to check the ease and convenience offered by the portability offered.
- Customer Support: A good and quick after-sales support is highly appreciated as a hot tub is susceptible to damage due to frequent wear and tear. Moreover, even the most durable hot tub can leak when children use pointed objects in the tub. In such scenarios, customers often require immediate repairs for continuous use.
How to set up an inflatable hot tub?
Setting up an inflatable hot tub is easy and the following steps have to be followed while installing one:
- Inflating the tub: The tub can be inflated using a pump. Temperature has an impact on the structure of the tub and hence hot water causes the tub to inflate further. Hence, one must be cautious while inflating.
- Heating the water: It takes a time to heat the water inside the tub and the speed of heating depends on the technology used in the tub. The size of the tub also impacts the heating and bigger tubs tend to take more time for heating the water up to the desired temperature. Black hot tub tends to heat faster as the water is also exposed to sunlight.
Top 5 best inflatable hot tub reviews in 2017
1. Intex Pure Spa 4-Person Inflatable Portable Heated Jet Massage Hot Tub
This inflatable hot tub from Intex is available in the price range of $500 to $550. The tub has a spacious space in which 4 adults can easily relax and enjoy a rejuvenating massage. The tub also has large sides that are spacious enough for a person to sit and dip his or her feet in the hot water. Apart from giving a full body massage, the tub may also be used for gently massaging your feet.
The massage tub is provided by 4 powerful jets that are fitted in the tub’s interiors. The product is easy to maintain and it is accompanied by two easy-to-replace filter cartridges. Besides providing the benefits of easy maintenance, the tub provides an effective hard water treatment system and salt water sanitation system. Moreover, users can cut down their electricity bills because of an efficient heating system. The tub’s body has been made strong and durable due to the usage of 48-FiberTech beams. The tub can heat up to 104 degrees Fahrenheit and it comes with a one-year limited warranty.
This product is for everyday use and any person can beat fatigue by taking a refreshing dip in the tub after having a shower. Overall, customers have given a 5-star rating to this product. However, a few customers have complained that it is difficult and time-consuming to set the product. This may cause undue wastage of water as well as electricity.
2. Bestway SaluSpa Siena AirJet Inflatable Hot Tub
This spa is one of the smaller spas whose prices fall in the range of $400-$500. This spa can be simultaneously used by 2 adults and it has a unique seating arrangement. This tub is very easy to setup using an air pump.
This product proves to be real energy saver because it has a timer that indicates the time to stop heating the water. Moreover, the tub is made up of durable tritech material that makes the tub resistant to wear and tear. The 120 air jets in the interior provide full body relaxation. The comfort level is further enhanced by accessories like a beverage table and handles. Other accessories include an inflatable top cover, a pressure gauge, a filter cartridge and a chemical floater. A DVD is provided along with the tub and it contains all the setup and maintenance instructions. However, customer reviews suggest that the instructions are not very helpful. All in all, this inflatable tub serves as a romantic treat for couples who want to unwind and relax together after a hard day’s work.
All in all, this inflatable tub serves as a romantic treat for couples who want to unwind and relax together after a hard day’s work.
3. Coleman Lay Z Spa Inflatable Hot Tub
This hot tub falls in the price range of $350 to $380 and it is specifically designed to be simultaneously used by 6 adults. As its name suggests, the tub is manufactured by Coleman; the popular company that makes camping products and equipment.
Coleman is known to manufacture sturdy and heavy-duty camping equipment and this hot tub is not different from other products made by Coleman. Its exterior is made up of a durable coated fabric that comes in Coleman’s signature green color. The tub’s floor is well-cushioned and there are several bubble jets that provide a relaxing massage and stimulation. The experience is further enhanced by the aluminum coating that keeps the water warm. The Lay-Z massage system provides different levels of massage tubs depending on the user settings.
The tub offers many advantages but its rapid heating system is perhaps its best-selling point. This system ensures that water heats up in a very short span of time. The only disadvantage of this tub that it is served best when used during camping.
4. Intex Pure Spa 6-Person Inflatable Portable Heated Bubble Hot Tub
This inflatable tub has a price that falls in the range of $590 to $610. This tub is equipped with 170 bubble jets that are very soothing. The tub’s entire interior is surrounded by these jets that guarantee a refreshing massage.
This product is to be exclusively used for an entire body massage and about 6 people can enjoy the massage simultaneously while relaxing in the pool. The relaxation levels are further heightened due to the comfortable seating arrangement. You will be able to tilt our head backward and let it rest on comfortable headrests. The tub heats the water before bubbling and hence it has the more efficient heating system. The water is made refreshing by the in-built water treatment system. The control panel is very easy to use and the hot tub can be activated by a single touch of the button. The product comes with 2 spare filter cartridges and it is made durable by a fiber-tech construction material.
Product reviews suggest that customers are highly satisfied with the product. Customers are highly impressed by Intex’s prompt and effective customer service. However, there are complaints about water leakages and also about the length of the time required to heat the water.
5. Realtree SaluSpa Realtree MAX-5 AirJet 4 Person Portable Inflatable Hot Tub Spa
This inflatable hot tub from Realtree is one of the cheapest tubs in the market and its price ranges from $290-$310. This product is not only cost-effective but highly portable it can also be used within the comfort of your home or cabin.
Apart from indoor use, this tub can also be used while camping or while relaxing on the lawn. The air jet massages the entire body and the water can be heated up to 104 degrees Fahrenheit. The tub is well-insulated with an in-built air chamber that prohibits the heat from escaping when the tub is not in use. The heating system comes with a timer and this proves energy efficiency. The product setup and installation are very easy. The pump that is used for inflation has a ground fault circuit interrupter for safety. A chemical floater, 2 filter cartridges and a repair patch are other accessories that are provided with the product.
The only major drawback of this product is that it takes around 24 hours to heat the water.
How to clean and store inflatable hot tubs?
An inflatable hot tub can be regarded as a true asset if it is maintained in the right manner. The following valuable tips will help you to ensure that your inflatable tub does not turn into a useless piece of furniture:
- Change filters at an appropriate time: Biweekly cleaning of filters is recommended if the tub is used frequently. The filter must be cleaned under running water. Overuse of the hot tub and the chemical buildup tends to affect the working of the filter. Hence, it is a good practice to change filters quickly for smoother operation.
- Clean regularly with soap water: An inflatable tub is made up of soft material and hence care must be taken while cleaning it with soap water. The soap water must be hot and a soft cloth must be used for cleaning the tub. Using the cloth prevents abrasion.
- Change water every week: Water must not be left in the hot tub for a longer period of time as it is susceptible to the growth of algae and bacteria. It is advisable to change the water on a weekly basis. It is also advisable to reduce the use of chemicals for cleaning the water if it is changed on a regular basis.
How to replace hot tub jets?
Every hot tub jet serves a specific purpose and hence utmost care must be taken while replacing them. The following steps have to be followed while replacing the hot tub jets:
- Turn off the hot tub: The first step is to turn off the tub without draining the water.
- Remove the jet: Immerse your hand into the tub and reach for the outside edge of the damaged jet. Rotate the jet counter clockwise until it comes out of the jet housing.
- Measure the jet dimensions: Keep the jet on the level surface with its face at the bottom. Measure the height of the jet from face to the tail. Measure the diameter of the jet. These dimensions are to be used for purchasing the replacement of the damaged jet.
- Fit the replacement model in the tub: The new model must be inserted into the jet housing in such a way that the notch of the jet is in line with the groove inside the housing. Turn the jet in the clockwise direction to fit it into the tub. The hot tub can be turned off after the jet is replaced.
An inflatable hot tub provides a cost-effective option that offers the same benefits as a traditional hot tub. This article provides you with all the necessary information that will help you to buy a suitable inflatable hot tub. Additionally, the article also discusses the pros and cons of various popular brands that sell inflatable hot tubs. The benefits of each brand are showcased and this will help you determine the product that best suits your needs. Finally, the maintenance tips offered here ensure that you utilize the product to the fullest by increasing its life.