Reloading presses are considered to be bullet makers’ and shooters’ best friends. Without it, filling and re-filling cases, as well as making bullets are not going to be possible, especially those who would like to do things on their own. Now, if you are strongly considering this new hobby or you know that you are going to need hundreds and hundreds of freshly reloaded rounds on a weekly basis, you should make sure that you do not get just any other press in the market. For bulk or large amounts of ammo, what you need is the best progressive reloading press that you can find.
There are so many reasons why you should get a progressive reloading press. The first one being the ability to save money on buying factory-made rounds or bullets. Because even if you buy the least expensive bullets, you will still be able to save on cost if you make or reload your own. The second benefit is being able to guarantee that your bullets will perform according to your standards and specifications. Of course, you can always go for the high powered ones, but if you are also into customizing your guns and constantly working on improving your gun accoutrements, you definitely need your own progressive reloading press to tailor fit your bullets properly.
3 Best Progressive Reloading Press 2021 – Comparison Chart
|Hornady Lock Auto Progressive Reloading Press||4.9||$$|
|Lee Precision Master Reloading Pistol||4.8||$$|
|Lyman Reloading Press T-Mag Turret||4.7||$$|
So before you run to the nearest gun supply store and shell out your hard earned cash, be sure to consider the following factors to help you make the best selection, possible:
- Design and Versatility
Our main target is to help you choose the best progressive reloading press that you need, so we scoped, tested and finally, reviewed 3 of the most popular brands and models based on our criteria.
- Hornady Lock Auto Progressive Reloading Press – this is a heavy duty press that makes sure that you won’t have a hard time reloading all your casings, every single time. In reality, this is built to last. You just need to make sure that you follow all the user guides to avoid accidents such as bits breaking or explosions. You really do not need to make any major adjustments every time you eject bullets, replace or even switch dies. You also have to be careful when it comes to adjusting and handling some of its moving parts as they are quite fragile.
- Lee Precision Master Reloading Pistol – made of cast aluminum and steel, it is definitely durable and heavy duty type of reloading press. This means that even if you work on hundreds of casings in 1 hour, you don’t need to worry about failures, overloading and even overheating. One tip from the makers of the Lee Precision Reloading Pistol is that you should be using CCI or Remington Primers because using a different type will cause the pistol to not just fail but possible cause fires or explosions.
- Lyman Reloading Press T-Mag Turret – the Lyman Reloading Press T-Mag Turret is one of our favorites because it is made of durable iron to make it last longer. The high-tech signature iron frame is also covered with silver powder to prevent scratches. It also has a rust-proof finish and is heavy enough to ensure that it will stay on your work bench without slipping. It is built to make sure that you do not need to buy another one for a very long time.
Our 1st pick for the Best in Durability: Lyman Reloading Press T-Mag Turret
Our 2nd pick for the Best in Durability: Lee Precision Master Reloading Pistol
Design and Versatility
- Lee Precision Master Reloading Pistol – If you are into both rifles and handguns, then the Lee Precision Master Reloading pistol is definitely one that you should strongly consider. It is designed to be used with ease and has enough room or clearance to reload even the largest types of rifle rounds. The five station reloading system can and will accept different brands of reloading dies. So if you have a collection of dies made by various manufacturers, you do not have to worry about getting specific reloading presses. The dies are also held in place by detachable turrets which makes it easier for you to remove and insert dies and cases – no adjustments needed. It doesn’t come with different dies and plates so you need to buy them separately.
- Lyman Reloading Press T-Mag Turret – this is a 6-station reloading press or turret head that helps you make sure that you won’t be needing any other presses or equipment. The T-Mag turret press has been reengineered to help make precisely reloaded rounds each and every time. You can also mount 6 different dies for faster and more efficient loading. You can actually change calibers without the need for any tools and adjustments. The turret handle also doubles as a turret-removing wrench. The ambidextrous handle is ergonomically designed so it can also be removed and installed on either the left or the right side so you can work on the press with ease. It is user-friendly that you don’t have to be an expert reloader to operate this. The press’ turret retention system makes sure that indexing is smoother as well. Its flat base definitely gives it the stability that you need, so even if you place or mount it on top of a wooden or steel, you know that it won’t move or slip. While it works well with different calibers and types of guns, this works best with rifles and pistols. The set comes with a universal priming arm, a turret handle and a prime catcher.
- Hornady Lock Auto Progressive Reloading Press – this is a completely reliable and user-friendly progressive reloading press. Hornady’s version is designed to make sure that you’ll be able to make die switches in a jiffy. It has a 5-station bushing system that allows you to change from 223 Rem or a 45 caliber round in 5 minutes tops. It’s considered to be one of the fastest changing reloaders in the market. The press comes with a quick-change metering inserts that gives you freedom to change powders with just a push of a button, an indexing system that’s automatic, a universal case retaining spring system, and a built-in priming system. You will also find it really useful because it has a case activated powder drop that senses that you have cases waiting to be loaded in its large capacity type of hopper. The Hornady Lock Auto Progressive Reloading Press features a patented EZject system that effectively ejects every single reloaded cartridge without any problems or adjustments needed. There would be instances where in you need to use certain tools to reload cases and die sets are also sold separately.
Our pick for the Best in Design and Versatility: Lyman Reloading Press T-Mag Turret
- Lyman Reloading Press T-Mag Turret – the Lyman can reload as much as 400 to 500 cases in an hour. It’s high-speed reloading system will make sure that you have enough ammos to last you a week.
- Hornady Lock Auto Progressive Reloading Press – It’s five station quick change bushing system is perfect for those who use up hundreds of rounds every single week. As a matter of fact, you can reload more than 500 rounds in a span of an hour!
- Lee Precision Master Reloading Pistol – Lee’s Precision Master Reloading pistol has a capacity of reloading about 250 rounds in an hour. This is relatively lower compared to the others that we have tested, due to its smaller hopper or feeder.
Our pick for the Best in Capacity: Hornady Lock Auto Progressive Reloading Press
Looking for the best progressive reloading press depends on how much work you to put in and also the amount of cases that the press actually produces. In the end, we can recommend you checking out the Lyman Reloading Press T-Mag Turret because of its amazing and really dependable features and functions. Coming in close second is Hornady Lock Auto Progressive Reloading because it can produce a large amount of reloaded casings in a short amount of time.
With the right progressive reloading press, you can be sure that you will never run out of rounds every time you go out and hunt with your buds.