Torch lighters produce a high speed, needle-like flame that is a lot hotter (reaching 1,800 degrees Celsius) and more intense when compared to that of common lighters. They are typically used for cigars and pipes, and they are able to sustain a steady stream of air-propelled fire no matter what angle you are holding them. Other torch lighters are meant for culinary purposes so they are a staple in the kitchen where they are used for searing, glazing, broiling, roasting and toasting a variety of food items.
What Makes the Best Torch Lighter
You want a torch lighter with a strong and consistent flame to keep your cigar lit and burning. You also want something that is virtually odorless because anything with an odor can taint your prized cigar. Even if you do most of your smoking indoors, having the best cigar torch lighter that is wind resistant never hurts.
Another key element is functionality. Determine how the cover is positioned. Know how much jet power the light has. Check how easy it is to use. There are many expensive and sleek looking lighters out there but they can be a total pain to use. Some folks want a torch lighter with a fluid meter or fluid indicator so they can tell when it is time to refill.
Flame adjustment is another important feature. Although a thin cigar only requires a bit of flame, a thicker one needs a lot. Hence, it is convenient to be able to adjust the flame as opposed to dealing with whatever flame your torch lighter provides.
The Top 5 Torch Lighters in the Market Today
1. Single Torch Lighter (Jumbo)
This dependable lighter features an oversized fuel tank, durable body and single jet flame that reflects the manufacturer’s commitment to form, feel and function. It combines a sleek translucent body design with solid metal craftsmanship at a highly affordable price. It is perfect for outdoor use such as camping or fishing.
The body is circular and measures 1.25-inch round. The nozzle on top of the body is 2.75 inches long. The overall length is 4.5 inches. It is not ideal if you are looking to carry it in your pocket, but an exceptional lighter nonetheless…works like a mini blow torch. This is definitely one of the best single flame torch lighters that you can purchase today.
2. TedGem Culinary Torch
This professional quality food cooking torch is mostly used in homes and restaurants. It will allow you to impress guests at your next party with the perfect glaze or sear. This torch will help you cook delicious crème brulee, pan-seared salmon, lemon meringue pie, BBQ, etc.
This culinary butane blow torch has been designed and crafted from durable aluminum alloy for long-lasting use. It is adjustable so you can choose different flame temperatures according to your needs. The flame can reach a temperature of up to 1300 degrees Celsius (2500°F) yet it is easy to control, thanks to the built-in gas flow regulator and air flow control valve. With such high quality materials and easy to use mechanisms, you are guaranteed that cooking will be safe and easy!
3. Unishow ® Jet Flame Butane Torch
This is considered as one of the best pocket torch lighters for a number of reasons. Unishow is a registered trademark and this alone speaks a lot about the manufacturer’s belief in the caliber of the product. It features robust internal and external design elements that ensure long-lasting usability.
This 4 to 5-inch lighter comes with a clear see through tank, an efficient ignition system, adjustable flame control, a safe and easy to use ergonomic grip, and other perks for cigar aficionados. You can even pick a color to match the free velvet Unishow pouch.
4. TedGem Butane Cooking Torch
When talking about the best butane torch lighter, this one ought to be in the conversion. TedGem is a known manufacturer of culinary torches and they recently decided to upgrade their products by integrating a feature that will allow you to evenly spread flame and temperature for steak and other meat products.
On top of that, this is the only cooking torch that can adjust temperature and flame styles. Temperature can be adjusted from 450 to 1300 degrees Celsius. Another key feature is that gas will no longer come out until the torch is ignited. This discards the risk of accidental ignition.
TedGem crafted the body from aluminum and stainless steel, so you can handle it without worrying that your hand will freeze. The tank is not that big, but fill it up and the flame will burn for 60 minutes. With this torch, you can prepare a feast for the family, or even for a party!
5. Vertigo Triple Torch Cigar Lighter
This butane lighter has a clear fuel tank and fuel level indicator for added convenience. Designed with form and function in mind, not to mention value, this affordable lighter is compact, well-built and comes with its own soft sided carry pouch to keep it looking new.
This is a pure workhorse lighter that throws an awesome 3-torch flame. Simply press the dual action, quartz powered ignition and it will easily light a cigar in windy conditions. The fuel does not leak or evaporate. The cap is manual but effectively protects the burners from getting clogged by ash, dust or lint.
With its rugged design, affordable price, and attractive finish, this torch lighter is a must have for any serious cigar smoker. You can take it anywhere and it will surely outperform other lighters in the price category. This is arguably the best cigar torch lighter that you can get your hands on.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Torch Lighter
It can be difficult choosing just the right torch lighter from all of the various styles and features available. There are also a plethora of manufactures vying for their share in the highly competitive market. For the most part, if a torch lighter is intended as a gift and is bought by a non-cigar smoker, the look and the price are usually the important factors in making the selection. But if the lighter will be purchased by a smoker or a chef, they are likely to go after the key features that are of paramount importance to them.
- Number of Flames: As smokers say, two flames are better than one. There are even three, four and quintuple flames that you can find online and in brick and mortar stores. Bear in mind that cigars with huge ring gauges generally take longer to light. Multiple flames can significantly reduce that time. In addition, a double torch or three-torch lighter is more wind resistant when compared to their single flame counterpart.
- Reliability and Functionality: Always remember that reliability and functionality takes precedence over form and appearance. A fancy torch lighter certainly looks nice, but it may fail to light your cigar. As with other things, there is no need to spend more than is necessary to have a torch lighter that works flawlessly and functions reliably.
- Fuel Efficiency: A single flame torch lighter will consume far less fuel than a triple flame torch lighter. We can use cars here for analogy. Consider the single flame torch lighter as the Toyota Prius of the lighter world, while the triple flame, quadruple flame and quintuple flame lighters as the Hummer of the lighter world. The latter is oozing with machismo but goes through fuel like a drunkard goes through liquor.
- Budget: So, how much are you willing to spend for a lighter? Given the fact that a cigar is associated with a bad habit, splurging on one is probably silly. But what counts as ‘silly’ is of course relative. Here is a good advice though: carry the best torch lighter that you can afford to lose. If you are used to having a lighter in your pocket, it is quite likely that you will quickly lose the first one that you start carrying.
Conclusion and Parting Words
Hopefully at this point you’ve learned a number of important things about torch lighters. We’ve listed the top five torch lighters for your convenience and we have enumerated the top factors to consider when buying the best torch lighter. What we’ve laid out is merely a guide because it will be all up to you in the end. For instance, the appearance and price range are a matter of preference. For as long as the torch lighter has the features that will make you happy, then by all means go for it.