Having an appropriate sling bag for your needs is one of the important things you should focus on while going for an outdoor activity, say hiking or hunting. This is because you are going to carry it for long hours, and the least you would expect is straining yourself. In this article, we will help you pick the best sling bag for your needs.
We will also focus on other important aspects related to sling bags. So, without wasting any time further, let’s get started.
Why a Sling Bag is Important?
Although backpacks and messenger bags can do it all for you, they are not feasible every time. Sometimes, you need something bigger than a messenger bag and a little smaller than a heavy backpack, especially when you are embarking on an outdoor activity. And guess what; sling bags are the ones that you have been looking for in all these years.
A sling bag is a great practical way to carry your important belongings wherever you go. It has enough space for you to carry your important stuff, and appropriate straps and hooks to make sure that it is not too bulky to carry around.
The best part is, the sling backpacks can be carried easily as they have a much compact design and look really cool.
If you are someone who is looking for a backpack that has features like a camera compartment, tripod holder, water bottle pocket, secret storage to keep valuables or if you are someone who is looking for various storage options in one bag, you should opt for a sling backpack. They are the best option for you.
So, which one should you choose? We will find this out in the next section.
Best Sling Bag Reviews
1. Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger
This sling bag is designed in such a way that the user can disconnect its under-the-arm strap, spin it at an angle of 270 degree and carry the bag in front. This feature makes the bag easily accessible while also increasing its utility.
This single strap bag has a tough and ergonomic design. It is made in USA, and so you can be assured of the quality offered. The bag consist of 5 compartments: a water bladder holder, a small and a medium pouch on the outer side, a zipper pouch near the medium one and the main compartment.
The approximate capacity of this sling bag is 1100 cu.in. There are in-built theft deterrent devices to capture zipper pulls. One of the best features of this bag is its easy accessibility such that you can easily retrieve the contents of the bag even when you are sitting. That said, this sling bag is perfect for hiking and camping trips.
2.Kavu Rope Bag
If you have been looking for a stylish yet comfortable and durable bag, your search ends here! The bag consists of a rope style handle and can be carried in a range of ways – wear it across your body, or wear it on your back, or simply hold it with its handles.
The bag is made up of cotton and thus it provides you a comfortable feel. There are two large easy to reach exterior pockets to store your essentials.
This cross-body sling bag is a supreme example of high-quality workmanship. What’s more? It is durable and provides enough room to store a range of items in its pockets.
One of the best parts of this bag is that it is purposely designed such that the weight of the essentials gets evenly distributed which doesn’t strain your body. Further, it is easy to clean and you don’t have to worry about its colors being washed away after its first wash.
3. OutdoorMaster Sling Bag
This is a unisex sling bag suitable for a range of outdoor and adventure activities, both for men and women. Whether you love hiking or camping, you can definitely count on this bag.
The bag features an exterior strap on the shoulder that is reversible and padded in nature; here you can easily store your phone, bottle and the likes. The reversible nature of the shoulder strap prevents your shoulder from the extra weight of the bag and you can use it for longer periods of time by reversing it again and again. There is an anti-theft pocket where you can store all your important documents such as cards and passports.
It is a perfect day backpack and has a 12 liter internal storage capacity. It is light in weight due to its cross body design and sturdy material and has enough space to store your cameras, tablet and even a small laptop.
4. Red Rock Outdoor Gear Rover Sling Pack
If you have been looking for a durable and a high-quality sling bag, this is it! This bag from the house of Red RockOutside Gear is durable, robust and provides a great value for money.
There is a concealed carry sleeve on the back side of the bag that allows you to store your weapons and other gears on the go. The bag has four compartments that are large enough to store your binoculars, iPads, first aid kits and other essential items.
Further, the bag consists of two zippered compartments on the front – the bottom one has a small zippered pouch for storing smaller things. The bag pack is made up of 600 Denier Polyester Construction and has a PVC lining.
There is MOLLE webbing platform on the face and sides that lets you store extra items. The bag also has an adjustable shoulder strap and can be carried from both the sides.
5.11 RUSH MOAB 10 Tactical Sling Pack
This is yet another great product in the list. This sling bag from 5.11 is ergonomically designed and provides enough room for storing a range of accessories on the go.
The bag is made up of 100% nylon and includes 5.11s Tier System. It has numerous pockets scattered throughout and allows you to carry a range of gears easily.
The zippers all over the pockets are bi-directional in nature. The shoulder strap is reversible and can be disconnected from the lower side. The bag gives plenty of space for storing all your accessories and also offers extensive modular storage expandability.
It also has a hydration pocket with a capacity of 1.5 liter to store your water bottle on the go.
What to Look For In a Sling Bag?
While you are traveling, or going out for a day photography, or even for hiking, the sling bag can actually help you in many ways.
However, depending on your needs, you should buy a sling backpack that has the right kind of design and features.
To help you out, here are a few features that you should consider:
- Overall storage options: Whether it is your sling bag or your large backpack, it should have the right kind of storage options available. From small pockets to larger ones, your sling bag should be able to accommodate a range of items comfortably.
- Dedicated camera compartment: If you are looking for a sling bag for your photography trips, then buy one that has a dedicated camera compartment so that your camera can be stored without any hassles.
- Tripod holder:Another important feature to look for in a sling backpack for your photography trips is a tripod holder. The backpack must have the ability to keep your tripod safe.
- Laptop sleeve: Look for a laptop sleeve on your sling backpack.
- Water bottle pocket: One must-have thing in your sling bag is a water bottle pocket. Ensure that you can carry your water bottle without any hassles.
- Secret storage pockets: A sling backpack with a secret storage pocket is a perfect one. You can store valuables like money, passport or any documents in there without any fear of losing them.
- Water resistant fabric: Find a sling backpack that is made up of water resistant fabric.
- Exterior pockets for quick access: Exterior pockets for quick excess goods are also very important in a sling backpack.
- Multi-side carry option: Find a sling backpack that has a multi-side carry option so that it becomes easier for you to carry them.
How to Wash Your Backpack the Right Way?
Let’s face it. Sling bags are prone to getting dirty much quickly than you expect. Therefore, it is essential that you take care of them properly.
There are many ways your backpack may get dirty. The salt from your sweat and the oil from your skin normally gets seeped into the shoulder straps as well as the hip belt. Other than that, you may also notice that your zips are dirty, the fabric of your backpack can attract dirt and pollution over time.
This is the reason why you should wash your backpack at least once a month to keep them clean and protected. However, the backpacks require deep cleaning in order to get rid of all the dirt and pollution.
But, before cleaning your sling bag, make sure that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Most sling bags can be cleaned following a normal process:
- Use a soap without detergent and, preferably unscented ones
- Use clean washcloths and a sponge
- Use a tooth brush or soft nyloned-bristled brush
Techniques to clean your sling bag
If you are willing to wash your backpack the right way, here are a few things you need to take care of:
- Never wash your sling bag in the machine or dry it in the dryer.
- Use lukewarm water to wash your bag. Do not use too cold or too hot water. Use your brush or soft sponge sparingly.
- Hang your bag in shades or indoors to dry them. Do not put them under the direct sun light.
- In order to clean your zippers, use lubricants that are particularly made for zippers.
For light cleaning
For light cleaning of your sling bag, follow the below instructions:
- Empty all your pockets
- Use a wet sponge to clean all the interiors of your backpack
- Lightly scrub the strains on the exterior with a sponge and little soap
- To rinse off the soap, use clean and cold water on a cloth
For deep cleaning
For a better and deeper cleaning of your sling bag, follow the below instructions:
- Empty your sling bag first. After that, gently vacuum all the inner areas of your backpack.
- Now if your bag allows, remove the straps and hip belt. Wash them separately.
- Take any removable metal frame that your bag has.
- Fill a bath tub with lukewarm water and mix non-detergent soap. Now soak your backpack for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, use your sponge to clean all the dirt. Sponge off all the interior and exterior spots. Pay attention to all the places that come direct connection with your skin.
- Drain and now rinse off the backpack with cool water. Rinse twice if needed. This will remove all the dirt and pollution as well as the soap from your backpack.
Follow the above-mentioned tips to wash your sling bag for better results.
This brings us to the end of this article. We hope this buying guide would have helped you in choosing the right sling bag for your needs. Yes?
So, what all factors do you focus on while buying a sling bag? Do let us know in the comments below.