A Hammock is a very useful material, both for regular use and for recreational purposes. It is a sling that is usually used for resting or napping and swinging. May it be for indoors, outdoor backyard, poolside, beach side and camping or trekking; hammock is an important element, as it offers rest and relaxation. Selecting a good hammock is not very easy; one needs to have a very good knowledge about the various factors and conditions before purchasing a hammock. Here are some of the basics that one must know while buying a hammock;
- Size and requirements
- Type and Design
- Stand or no stand
- Extra accessories
One must select a hammock, possibly keeping the purpose and need at the first preferences, as it is used for a variety of purposes;
- Chair hammock is used only to sit and swing. This type of hammock is not meant for sleeping or for taking long naps as it is specially designed for sitting and swinging.
- Baby hammock is especially for kids or babies; that is used for child play or as a swing.
- Adult standard hammock is designed for adults to relax or sleep and pass time enjoying outdoor views like beach side or poolside.
- Camping or backpacking hammock is used in camping sites or trekking. Tent hammocks are mostly used for camping purpose.
Size and requirements
Size is a very important factor that is needed to be kept in mind while purchasing a hammock as the hammocks come in different sizes like single, double, queen, grand or king; X grand or jumbo; XX grand and some larger possible sizes. Selecting the size might be a very difficult task for an inexperienced buyer. For a kid to sleep comfortably a single size hammock goes fine; a double or queen Size would be okay for a small sized adult. Average adult would need a king or the grand size hammock and jumbo size or XX grand size hammocks can fit in a whole family.
However, the weight limit should always be kept in mind as every hammock comes with a weight limit that normally ranges from 250 pounds to 1000 pounds. If the weight limit is exceeded, it might cause the hammock to break down, which may result in serious consequences. So, before getting a hammock, the possible weight to be borne by the hammock must be calculated.
Hammocks are usually made of three different materials; rope, string or cloth. So according to one’s comfort zone, the hammock should be selected.
- Rope hammocks are very common to most of the people. This type of hammock has a very long durability and its comfort ability depends on the quality of the hammock. Many find it good but some feel it too rigid.
- Cloth hammocks are the most comfortable hammocks. This type of hammocks gives bed like feeling. Cloth hammocks are really easy to maintain and come in a wide variety of colors as well as fabrics. This type of hammocks has very low ventilation as there is no open weave, so in extreme hot climate it is better not to go for the cloth hammocks.
- String hammocks are of very light weight, easy to carry and can be dried very fast. This type of hammocks is dyed in varieties of colors and has good ventilation. String hammocks are a lot more expensive and the durability is quite lesser than that of rope or cloth hammocks.
Hammocks are available in the market in two different styles; inline style and the spreader style.
- Spreader style hammocks are the modern hammocks. in this style, the fabric is spread by metal or wooden bars at the head as well as the food of the hammocks, spreading the weight load equally that makes the in and out of the hammocks very easy. This style is mostly used in grand, jumbo or double size hammocks. The air flow is high, but these hammocks are not so stable that makes these prone to overturn.
- Inline style hammocks are the most traditional hammocks and are popularly known as tropical hammocks or jungle hammocks. In inline style, the hammock with the occupant on it takes the shape of a pea pod or cocoon and is more stable; but getting in and out of this hammock is pretty difficult. For inline style, the comfort and ventilation of the hammocks highly depend on the cloth or weave of the hammocks.
Type and design
There are different types of hammocks and these are designed differently, making each type precisely unique. Basically, the very common types of hammocks are Mayan hammocks, Brazilian hammocks, camping hammocks, poolside hammocks, Nicaraguan Hammocks, quilted hammocks and rope hammocks.
- Mayan hammocks
Mayan hammocks are usually made of either cotton strings or nylon strings, which are woven together by hand. This type of hammocks is available in many bright colors and is very flexible and light weighted, but can bear heavy weights. Mayan hammocks are mostly of inline style and are not that durable when used outdoors.
- Brazilian hammocks
Brazilian hammocks are popular for the fancy and beautiful fringes that come in bright colors, give the hammocks very unique look. This type of hammocks is woven thick with less ventilation and is specially designed for cold climatic areas. Brazilian hammocks are mostly available in inline style but can be found occasionally in spreader style too.
- Camping hammocks
Camping hammocks are light weighted hammocks that are designed especially for camping purpose. These hammocks are inline style, as for spreader style more things would be needed to carry along, which is not easy for campers and trekkers. Portable camping hammocks mostly come with backpacking design and some have attached mosquito nets along with storage pockets. The fabric and nettings of this type of hammocks are sturdy and light which make these hammocks a good preference for sailors, hikers, trekkers, hunters and campers.
- Poolside hammocks
Poolside hammocks are designed especially for wet outdoors with long durability and fast drying quality that are resistant to fading. This type of hammocks always comes in spreader style and can be installed on special stands that are also waterproof.
- Nicaraguan Hammocks
Nicaraguan Hammocks are specialized type of hammocks that are made from soft-spun cotton that ate woven tightly, making the hammocks more durable. Nicaraguan Hammocks are available in inline style and can be used in both warm and cold climatic areas as the ventilation is good enough even for hot weather. Some of these hammocks have fringes, but the fringes cannot be kept outdoors for very long time.
- Rope hammocks
Rope hammocks are the most traditional and widely used hammocks. This type of hammocks is available in spreader style and is made of either cotton rope or polyester. The cotton rope hammocks are more comfortable than the polyester ones, but take a lot of time to dry and are prone to mildew; whereas the polyester rope hammocks are resistant to mildew and can withstand UV rays, high humidity, saltwater etc and last much longer. Though polyester rope hammocks stretch less, but these are equally comfortable as the cotton ones.
- Quilted hammocks
Quilted hammocks are two layered hammocks with batting in the middle. This type of hammocks is available in spreader style. With the two layer design, these hammocks offer a lot of comfort and warmth; and come in wide variety of materials, including resistance to fading and water, which makes these hammocks outdoor usable. Quilted hammocks are good and safer for kids, than any other hammocks as these hammocks don’t have any gaps.
Stand or no stand
Before buying a hammock, one must always make sure about where the hammock is to be installed, as for installing a hammock; two fixed points with perfect distance measurement are required. For indoors, fixed poles or pillars can be used to mount the hammock and for outdoor, one can attach the hammock to two different trees. In case there are no poles or trees around, then one can purchase a hammock with stand, which will be a little expensive, but this much relaxation is worth the cost.
Depending on the necessity, some extra accessories like hammock pillows, nettings, tents and tarps can also be purchased along with the hammock. Hammock tarps are useful in covering and protecting the occupant from the rain or other weather elements. Hammock nettings help in keeping away mosquitoes and bugs. The netting wholly encloses and covers the hammock and can be zipped completely. For more comfort and relaxation, hammock pillows can be bought along. Some special hammocks are available with camouflage design and if one needs the hammock for hunting trips, then the camouflage colored hammock is a very good option.
Whether for camping, recreation or relaxation; choosing the right hammock is very important. No matter if the hammock is spreader style or inline style, one must always go for the best quality available, as it will either make the day or simply spoil the enjoyment.